Office designed for comfort

As I get ready to redesign my office to accommodate a desktop computer, I am thinking of things such as redesign of my work space. My present setup is just a quickly tossed together arrangement of a couple of boards run between a nightstand and a TV tray. My laptop sits on a cake cooling rack over a keyboard tray sitting over the TV tray, my second monitor sits over the nightstand. The keyboard is on three leftover flooring boards tucked under the keyboard tray and angled out to let me see the screen on the second monitor as I type since I use it as my primary monitor.

I want to reconfigure things so that I can reduce or, preferably, eliminate my trouble with low back pain. I admit it, I'm a sloucher. I also have trouble getting my feet to the floor from my desk chair. I'm a short 5'2" so chairs designed for men 5'11" to 6'2" are not exactly the most ideal for me to be sitting in. I usually end up with one foot tucked up under me and the other resting on something under the desk.

So, for my redesign I am taking the following points into consideration, points you might think about too if you have trouble with low back pain.

  • Adjust the level of the work surface so that it is at a comfortable height for you
  • Find a chair with good lumbar support or use a lumbar support cushion
  • Design the office so that you can easily stand up and move around in it
  • Arrange items to encourage you to get up and walk across the room - printer across room maybe?
  • Kick out all the junk food and, if you must have munchies, replace with good for you things
  • Rest your feet on a low stool or maybe a low stack of books

0 comments: