Writing is running a small business

What does it take to run a small business? As writers we already know a lot of the requirements. From meeting with clients to hiring temp services to get things done that you do not have the time or perhaps training to do. When you work as a freelance writer you are taking on the role of a small business owner.

I obviously do not bother to do so with my blog posts, but I have a friend who I will use for proof reading my novels when they are ready to be published. She is a whiz with grammar and understands how punctuation works. One of those talented people that just do it innately, rather than have to slave over text books for thirty years and still not quite know where the commas go. Then there are considerations such as buying envelopes and postage, researching information on-line, staples, computer hardware and software, taxes, interviews with sources, magazines and books necessary to the trade... and on and on.

Since being a freelance writer is running a small business, I of course look for information on small businesses whenever I can. I even have a blog that I am trying to get sorted out for helping work at home types like me.

Blogs are a good resource for finding information on running a small business, too. They are kept up to date and posted to regularly. They tend to focus on seasonal specific concerns such as taxes or getting ready for working around the holidays. You can find tidbits of information that you would not have expected to be finding on them and links to other sites such as the SBA or IRS websites.

EastBiz.com has a small business blog with free business info on their IncParadise.com website, to help answer common questions about small business ownership. Questions dealing with issues such as mastering customer service skills, the best states for business, e-mail, and sick days.

0 comments: