Snowbank auctioned on eBay, wanna buy some snow?

Okay, I admit it, there are some weird things on eBay but.... snow? Holy Shiiiooooot! Can I sell my snow on eBay too? I have lots, I mean, people, we are talking prime Alaskan snow, yes, that's right *ALASKAN* snow! Pure, pristine, Alaskan snow, the same snow that falls on our lovely glaciers. This is not dirty snow kicked onto the sidewalk by a snowplow, no, this is fluffy white snow that you can feel safe to make snowcones out of.

Okay, so, what spawned this? News this morning reporting on dude that auctioned off his snowbank on eBay. Yeah, that's right. A fellow in Canada sold a snowbank on his lawn to someone on eBay. The snowbank in question was not even clean snow from the looks of it, instead appearing to be a dirt strewn mound piled up from road plows.



From what I have read, the high bidder apparently backed out on the purchase after a bid of $3,550. 00 (I'm guessing that is in Canadian dollars). The stories I have seen so far have been reporting that not only the first place winner backed out, but the second place winner backed out as well, leaving the lucky (?) third place winner winning their very own snowbank for a cool $3,000.00. And, if that's not enough, they scrounged around in the kids' piggy banks and made up the extra $550 that the high bidder had backed out on. Paying the full $3,550 for the snowbank.

Now, the money went to charity, but I am not certain if that was the plan from the start or not, since I can not find the auction on eBay. If anyone has found it I would love to see it. It either started or ended on the 21st from what I have pieced together.

Now, what do you do with a snowbank? Well, rumor has it that there might be plans to auction pieces of it off in auctions for charity. In fact, there is said to already be someone waiting to pay $100.00 for a bag full of snow from the snowbank.

Seems insane, I know, but it is actually not a first. While looking up this snow auction I found information on another one. It seems that back in the beginning of 2007 a Denver couple auctioned snow from their yard on eBay. There was a last reported bid of $4.00 from 3 bids on the snow, and the suction had not yet closed. (Auction closed on January 7, 2007)

And really, this is not the worst one I have found... There was the PS3 auctioned off in 2006....




Yes. A PS1 plus a PS2 equals a PS3... suuuure. I can't verify this was really up for auction, but here is where I found it online.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there !

Hi am Sophie from the Fraser Family who bought this snowbank. I am going through the articles that were written about our story and I read yours. This is a real story. We are donating this 3 550 $ to a foundation called Opération Enfant Soleil which helps chidren hospitals in our Province. Because this story is so funny, we grabbed the occasion to raise even more money. We have raised so far more then 8 000 $ (canadian of course) I'm inviting you to do the same and find something ridiculous that can make people enthousiastic about giving to a charity. Try it. Why not ?!

Sophie Rouillier mother of 3 children and wife of Claude Fraser